Ignatian prayer


An Ignatian
Prayer....

Lord, teach me to be
generous.
Teach me to serve you as you deserve,
to give and not to count
the cost,
to fight and not to heed the wounds,
to toil and not to seek
rest,
to labor and not to ask for reward,
save that of knowing that I do
your will.


Tuesday, May 31, 2016

Being Present

Today our Church celebrates a feast day we call "The Visitation".  We recall the Scripture reading from the book of Luke, that time when Mary went hurriedly to visit her older pregnant cousin Elizabeth. (Lk 1:39-45). Mary having already surrendered her life to God, became the first evangelist, and went with great joy and faith to care for her cousin in the countryside. In my understanding of who our Blessed Mother Mary is, the Mother of God, it’s that she is always “there”.
Being an evangelist isn’t about preaching about God’s kingdom….it is about pointing the way towards the Kingdom. Mary spent her life pointing everyone towards Christ.  She did this best by simply “being there” because of her love and obedience to God.
In this scriptural encounter we are given a glimpse into the life two faith filled Jewish women blessing one another. Luke tells us that Elizabeth’s baby leapt for joy in the womb in his recognition of Mary’s voice. What a rich story of two cousins coming together in thanksgiving for how God is working in their lives.
Aside from the many theological understanding of what this moment signifies in the history of salvation, my heart leads me to reflection that brings two questions come to my mind:
1.       How often have I experienced Mary’s presence in my life?
Thankfully my parents had a deep devotion to our heavenly mother. Before we left Cuba the four of us (my parents, my brother and I) entrusted our lives to God, asking Mary to pray for us, upon learning that we were leaving our country for an unknown future. I still have the very old scapular that was imposed on me as a sign of our faith in God and the Holy family. When I look at it, I am so thankful for her presence on our journey. My parents knew that Mary, as a mother, would intercede for us and be with us in our bitter moments of saying good bye to family and home, in our struggles to find a new life. Who better than Mary who also had to flee her homeland would understand what it means to be in exile? I have always felt Mary’s presence in my life, as much as I have felt Jesus’ presence. Yes, I am joyful for her! She was there for us.
2.       When am I there for others? When have I have failed to be a good witness for Christ?
This scripture reminds me of the importance of being present to others. The other day my son mentioned to me how I’m not around much. This hurt me deeply. Perhaps I have to rethink how I am “present” to him.  As a teenage boy he may need me to be present to him in a different way than when he was an adolescent. This means I may have to adapt to how he has changed (and will continue to change).  Being present means observing my children’s changing needs and our family dynamics. Being present means to be responsive to what others need, and not impose on others what I think they need. This makes me evaluate how I am living a life that sets a good example for my son of what it means to be a follower of Christ? How am I Prioritizing my life to make sure that he feels the presence of God, of Jesus, of Mary? Can I do this in the same joy filled, courageous way as Mary? This is my challenge. I turn to Mary for guidance, let me surrender to God’s will in my life. Let me be a good witness to my son and to my other children by always being present to them in a way that says “I am joyful”, “I am thankful”, and “I am faithful”.
I am always thankful to my Church who celebrates events like this one, an ordinary day in the life of two extraordinary women who said yes to God.  How wonderful that God works so powerfully through women to recreate and bring joy into our world!

No comments:

Post a Comment