Ignatian prayer


An Ignatian
Prayer....

Lord, teach me to be
generous.
Teach me to serve you as you deserve,
to give and not to count
the cost,
to fight and not to heed the wounds,
to toil and not to seek
rest,
to labor and not to ask for reward,
save that of knowing that I do
your will.


Saturday, June 22, 2013

Who do you say I am? Lk 9:18-24


In this Sunday's Gospel we hear Jesus ask his disciples "who do YOU think I am?" St. Peter, who later during our Lord's suffering denied knowing him three times, said quite clearly "The Christ of God".  Jesus is said to have rebuked him. It seems that Peter and the disciples did not really understand what Jesus was asking.  Peter thought he had the right answer.  After all he had been hanging around Jesus for some time, surely he thought he knew him. He had seen him heal illnesses, feed multitudes, forgive sinners, they prayed together, ate meals together, traveled together.  He thought he knew Jesus.

To know someone means that one has a relationship with that person.  It seems that this Gospel we are being asked to not be so quick to think we know who Jesus is.

In our society we see many groups or individuals who will be very quick to identify with the Democratic Jesus or the Republican Jesus or the Touchdown Jesus or the Psychologist Jesus or the Warrior Jesus or the Meek Jesus or the Friend Jesus or the Environmental Jesus.....so many ways to frame our concept of Jesus upon whom we'll  profess our faith upon.

What Jesus teaches us is that he is always more than what we think he is. He is more loving, more forgiving, more terrifying, more awesome, more Son of God than we can ever imagine.  And what I like best about this Gospel is that Jesus doesn't define for us in this moment what the "right" answer should have been, instead he keeps us in a spirit of discernment. 

Later, he shows us who he really is with the greatest miracle ever....a moment when eternity breaks into our sphere.  Through his death and resurrection Jesus leaves those who truly want to know him the answer to this question: he is the Son of a Living God.  He shows us that he takes upon himself the sins of the entire world, so that all of us may be assured of eternity with our Father. This Jesus is Love in the truest sense of the word. Love that wants a relationship with us.  Love that is a person.  Love that wants us to be like Love too.

 
 
When we come to know Jesus we must choose to love him or not. There really is no in between.  This is why at Mass, each Sunday we approach the altar and say "yes" to Jesus by participating in his miracle of death and resurrection. This event happened once in history however it is an eternal sacrifice. (Hebrews 7:26-27 and Heb 9:11 among others).We become active with God in the greatest miracle of all.  (Lk 22:19)  When we celebrate and "remember" this miracle we are saying 'yes' to becoming a part of our miracle story. We are saying 'I want to know you more'.  We eat his body and drink his blood in remembrance of this truth, of this promise. (1 Corin. 11:24)  It becomes our mystical encounter with the person; the Living Son of God who challenges us by asking us each time: "who do you say I am?"

If we believe this to be true when we approach the altar we don't see just an ordinary table anymore. This table where our community gathers has transformed into a sacred place where Jesus becomes real in our presence.  Knowing Jesus makes me humble, makes me hopeful, makes me remorseful,  makes me want to be like him and sacrifice myself for the good of others.  When we come to know this Jesus we are faced with a dilemma-do I allow myself to be transformed into Love?  If I choose to be transformed I must die to my old self.  This is where the rub exists.  This is where I fail as a disciple, because if I am honest, I want to have the Jesus that fits my "box". I prefer to be in my comfort zone. 

Getting to know Jesus is a process.  He challenges me to get to know him better.  I must not be quick to say "I have him figured out".  I must walk the via dolorosa with him. I must be prayerful like him. I must be a peacemaker like him.  I must be open to examine my conscience each day,  willing to admit my sinfulness and my need for Him in my life.  I must be more like him and less like my Self(who wants the easy way, the proud way, all the power, all the glory for myself).

So the question we reflect on this week is....who do I say Jesus is?  Let us ponder.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment