Ignatian prayer


An Ignatian
Prayer....

Lord, teach me to be
generous.
Teach me to serve you as you deserve,
to give and not to count
the cost,
to fight and not to heed the wounds,
to toil and not to seek
rest,
to labor and not to ask for reward,
save that of knowing that I do
your will.


Saturday, October 20, 2012

The Blessing Cups


Each of my children prepared for their first Communion at 2nd grade.  This is a great age; children easily and eagerly love Jesus.  At the end of their year of preparation, they were presented with a blessing cup. They cherished their cups. Placed by their meal at dinner time, a visible reminder of how we share our blessings in our home with one another. Each cup served a reminder of how we share in the Lord’s blessing as we go to our church and Jesus shares himself with us at Mass.  We transform ourselves through worship and we affect our world by that transformation. This is a blessing!

Today as I cleaned the blessing cups that belonged to each of my children, I wondered what is the symbolism of the “cup”?  In the OT, Jeremiah speaks of Israel as having to drink the cup of the fury of the Lord at his hand.  Something was handed to Israel, which they had to endure. In the Garden of Gethsemane, Jesus prays, “If it be possible, let this cup pass from me: nevertheless, not my will but yours be done”.  Psalms 23 says “my cup runneth over”. I became aware that “cup” is our field of experience, of which we have no control over. The cup is used throughout the Bible as a figure of what life hands us.  Jesus knew what he was preparing for, as he prayed in the Garden; he was ready to accept what life was about to hand him. We don’t accept so readily, because we aren’t prepared.  Not being prepared means we can’t understand this kind of surrender to life.  Having a more mature faith, one grounded in a relationship with the Father, allows one to not only understand it, but to live it gracefully: to live what Catholics call, The Paschal Mystery. 

"If it be possible, let this cup pass from me; nevertheless, not my will but thine be done". This is the journey to the cross; the paschal mystery is what Jesus is referring to.  This is his cup to drink. He is spiritually ready for this experience that will take us all into new life.

How many Gardens of Gethsemane do we find ourselves in?  Jesus spent his life preparing to make a decision that would impact all of humanity and for all eternity.  How do I prepare for those moments when my choices can either drive me away from God or closer to Him forever?  Do I concern myself with my spiritual preparation or just the spiritual celebrations?  Preparation requires rigor and discipline.  Suddenly those four cups reminded me of how far removed I am because I am easily distracted in a world of what is seen only.  The creed I recite at every Mass says “I believe in one God…maker of heaven and earth…of all things visible and invisible….”  These cups today reminded me that I must remember those things that are not visible.  They made me reflect, how many times did I not see my cup? Where I may have walked away out of fear or out of pride?  Yes, I am sure I have.

In our baptism we began to prepare for our cup.  Our parents started our journey for us, by taking us to be plunged into the waters of spiritual life. It was through their faith that God began his work in me. Remembering what the baptismal font looked like from old photos, it was like a cup too! A large marble basin filled with living water that initiated me into the Paschal Mystery.  As an adult, I now understand that my baptism was more than just a “one moment in time” event.  I must be ready to baptize myself into every event in my life so I can continue to die to the old and be renewed into new life. This is what it means to live the Paschal Mystery.

I wiped dry and gently sat the cups back in the cupboard tonight. I thought of my kids, three of the them are adults now. We don't use the blessing cups as often anymore.  Tonight I prayed: Lord, may I always show the way to you to my children. Help us to be worthy of your blessings, that we may be prepared always to be a blessing to others and that we may come to share in your cup of salvation.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment