Ignatian prayer


An Ignatian
Prayer....

Lord, teach me to be
generous.
Teach me to serve you as you deserve,
to give and not to count
the cost,
to fight and not to heed the wounds,
to toil and not to seek
rest,
to labor and not to ask for reward,
save that of knowing that I do
your will.


Tuesday, October 16, 2012


Sketching/reflecting upon the Old Cathedral de Habana
CCayon-10-15-12

I was too young to remember your impressive face

That gazes upon a plaza full of people in the historic square

I only have images to reflect upon your striking look

One that has  absorbed sun and rain and much more in Old Habana.

quick sketches from a series of sketches on 10-15-12
 

Your centuries old face has undulating crevices, creases and folds

Perhaps gently caressing moments from a forgotten time

When citizens gathered for worship and fellowship within your walls

praying for a future that included life and liberty for all.

 

Now your imposing face appears paralyzed in time

Causing tourists and citizens who may pause to inquire

About your longing sad smile and beckoning bell towers and

why such Gestures of grander periods of your past  still evoke such hope?

 

I may never have the chance to discover the delight in hearing those campanas toll for freedom

Or walk casually through the narrow avenues of my old native city

Where I may chance upon this node that pleasantly welcomes all

And  glance with many who walk within your shadow, upon your Mona Lisa-like smile

 

For now, I pay tribute to your unique outline with my sharpened pencils

loosely I lay your edges and notice their contrast against a resplendent blue Cuban sky

Filling in those secret memories with somber colors from my paint brush

I long to walk through your cool shade of my old cathedral in Habana.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment