Ignatian prayer


An Ignatian
Prayer....

Lord, teach me to be
generous.
Teach me to serve you as you deserve,
to give and not to count
the cost,
to fight and not to heed the wounds,
to toil and not to seek
rest,
to labor and not to ask for reward,
save that of knowing that I do
your will.


Friday, October 26, 2012

Bearing one another through love

In today’s reflection in the Word I read this from St. Paul’s writing to the early Christian community at Ephesus: “With all humility and gentleness, with patience, bear­ing with one another through love,” (Ephesians 4:2). Wow!  I needed this, especially in light of how divided I am feeling with the political debate that just passed and many friends and colleagues who are beginning to draw the proverbial line in the sand.  They seem to be saying, “are you with us, or against us?” 

I was not happy with the presidential debates, as there was no real debate opportunity. It became a war on words and trading spin stories.  Neither candidate seemed to be really interested in getting to the meat of the issues.  The same happens in my social media circles; when I see some argue over abortion or artificial contraception; when we really should be debating the sanctity of life issue, and not limit it to only a woman's issue or a religious issue.  When I see some argue about greedy Wall Street billionaires, when we really should be debating the moral responsibilities that must be a part of a capitalistic economic system within a repubulic built on democratic ideals. There are no easy answers, and those issues are harder to debate, especially when one is given two minutes to respond to a complex question. It becomes easier to divide ourselves and point at who the "enemy" is.  

So in the spirit of this political season, instead of egaging in “conversations” that really doesn’t convince anyone to change their minds, I prefer a reflection on examining our minds and hearts.  This reflection is one I prepared a few weeks ago for a group of adults that I facilitate once a week as we got ready for the Sacrament of Reconciliation.  It is based on Jesus’ teaching on the Mount, known as the Beatitudes (Latin for “Blessings”). (Matt 5: 3-12) 

It is a teaching that is meant to help us understand that we are called rise above our own divisions  and distractions and become "counter cultural". We are called to be people who prefer to be transformational, rather than live in security and validation. 

 
1. Blessed are the poor in Spirit, for theirs is the Kingdom of God~

Do I trust God above all things?
Do I choose to live knowing that I am a child of God and that is more meaningful and significant than being part of any particular nationality , any political party or what gender I am?  
Am I aware that ALL of creation is blessed? Living and non-living, in any phase of development?

2. Blessed are those who mourn, for they will be comforted~

Do I take responsibility for the problems in the world?
Do I make choices based on how my choices may impact others? 
When others around me are suffering, do I allow myself to share in their suffering?

3. Blessed are the meek, for they shall inherit the earth~

Do I go through my day as though only I possess all the right answers? 
Do I listen to others, even if I don’t agree with them, and respond to them in love?  
Do I believe that groups wholly define a person, or do I take time to get to know the person and love them for the unique gift they bring to my world?

4. Blessed are those who search for righteousness, for they shall be satisfied~

What motivates me?  Is it my own desire to succeed, to have it all, to achieve greatness, to be in power/control? 
Am I on a quest for truth and peace within myself?
What am I willing to sacrifice in order to defend all that is sacred?

5. Blessed are the merciful, for they shall obtain mercy~

Am I quick to condemn or judge others, especially when what they say or how they live isn’t in alignment with my own values?
Do I forgive those who have offended me or do I prefer to live with resentment and cynicism?  
Do I pray for others?
Do I sacrifice for others needs, without making a big deal of it, without expecting anything in return, even when it is inconvenient for me?

6. Blessed are the pure in heart, for they shall see God~

Do I examine all issues through the lens of love?
Do I realize that I am either working towards love, or against it. 
Do I let myself be distracted by the “spin” from others who prefer that we stay distracted and confused.
Do I broaden my vision and realize that truly loving ourselves and loving others is only possible if we love God first with our whole mind, body, and soul?

7. Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God~

Do I pray for those who seem to be my enemies?
Do I avoid dualistic thinking: Conservative vs. Liberal, Democrat vs. Republican,  
Christian vs. Muslim, Wall street and Main street, Anglos vs. Hispanics, Us and them?
Am I able to walk away when I would rather make my point, although it would add to the chaos or anger or frustration?
Am I aware that prayer demands me to be counter cultural?

8. Blessed are those who are persecuted for righteousness’ sake, for theirs is the Kingdom of Heaven~

What are the values and issues that I am willing to defend?
When have I been courageous enough to stand against what everyone else seems to be tolerating?
What trends do I follow?  
 When my children beg me for something because “everyone else” has one or is doing it, do I give in, even if I know it is not in the best interest our family?

9. Blessed are you when men revile you and persecute you and utter all kinds of evil against you falsely on my account. Rejoice and be glad for your reward is great in Heaven.

Do I live my life in fear or in gratitude?
Do I make my decisions from a desire for goodness for all of creation? 
Am I able to accept the consequences to all the choices I have made and will make?
Do I live a life that speaks of “peace, gentleness, love, humility, joy” without having to utter those words?

No comments:

Post a Comment